Vallejo Plastic Putty

I bought a box of assault marines from an ebay seller. The kit is fine, but really showing its age in terms of finish. Compared to the new Space Marine Tactical Squad set the details are a lot less defined. Particularly the legs, where the knee pads meet the thigh armour. This is not a complaint so much as an observation. I still like the kit.

However, the jump packs really do have big gaps. I didn’t take any pictures while I was assembling mine. It’s a bit of a bother to set everything up. But, here is a good example:

jump-pack
Image from ChestofColors.com

This picture comes from an excellent OSL tutorial from ChestofColors.com, which can be read here. You can see the gaps quite clearly. You can also see how inaccessible those parts of the model are. When I painted my Chaplain, I tried to sand the seams smooth. It didn’t work very well and I was unsatisfied with the results.

I have some green stuff but I’ve never used it before and it seems like an unsuitable application for it. I did some research on filling gaps and decided on Vallejo Plastic Putty. It’s water soluble so it won’t wreck your brushes and can apparently be colored with paint. It comes in a dropper bottle or tube. I bought the latter.

I found it really easy to use. I simply applied it into gaps with a paintbrush and used a damp cotton bud to remove the excess. I then sanded the surface with sanding sticks, then some really fine grit sandpaper and finally burnished it with my nail. I find a soft bristled toothbrush helps polish the surface too. Here are the results:

[photo]

It’s impossible to tell how smooth the surface is until it’s been primed. Grey primer really seems to show any imperfections up. That said, I’m very pleased with the results. I was able to fill even the tiny gaps inside the thrusters. The putty sanded well and didn’t seem to shrink much as it dried. I’m not sure if that would be the case with bigger gaps though. I guess green stuff might be a better alternative in that case.

The only niggle was on the underside of the Jump Pack, in the middle, under the vent. I was able to apply the putty just fine, to what was a pretty sizeable gap. But I found it very difficult to sand or scrape away the excess. If I had some of the cotton bubs that end in a hard point that might have worked better.

I won’t be magnetizing the jump packs. I don’t see much point in Assault Marines unless they have them. Eventually, I may decide to upgrade to a Space Marine Bike Squad. I really like the models and they seem like they’d be a solid choice in a game.

Advertisements

Chaplains

GW-CASSIUS
Image from: wh40k.lexicanum.com

In an earlier post I mentioned that I had ordered some heads from DragonForge.com. The heads have arrived and they are great. I don’t have any experience of working with pewter and they seem really heavy duty in comparison to resin and particularly plastic. I had been intending to use one of the heads to convert a the Chaplain mini from the Deathwatch Overkill box set. But then inspiration struck.

I thought why not simple paint a skull onto a helmet? Not an original idea I’m sure. In fact I found several tutorials. In particular, I liked this video from MiniWarGaming.com. I really like their content and in fact, I am a paid subscriber to their Vault (a paid membership). So, I went ahead and painted a skull helm, using a helmet from the Betrayal at Calth box set. I am pretty pleased with the results and I’ll post pictures when the rest of the miniature is painted.

Painting black is supposed to be tricky. Highlighting with grey seems to be fine, although I imagine it would be overpowering if overused. I will be painting the trim and various armour embellishments in a metallic or bone scheme. So, I don’t think the black will be a very dominant color in the overall color scheme.

I am not a fan of OSL effects, unless they are really subtle. I like the look of burnt metal effects and other weathering, but not the really bright plasma effects that seem so popular. As my Chaplain is in a running pose, I will not be painting the jump pack as if it is on. Rather as if he is about to take off.

I considered the idea of magnetizing the helmet and head so I could use them as a kind of wound marker. I still like the idea but I think it might be a bit much. I want the option to give the Chaplain a jump pack, in case I want to add an assault squad to my collection. I am worried that too many magnets, too close together, will affect each other. So, I have magnetized the back pack called it a day.

I ordered a jump pack from a bits seller on ebay. I was pretty satisfied with the seller although it’s a good idea to pay for the better packaging if the model is delicate. It’s not advertised as better packaging, rather as the expidated option. My model arrived slightly broken but the sculpt has so many delicate details, it’s difficult to imagine how it could be avoided.

I’m not sure exactly how it will fit on the model I have. It’s very hard to judge from the pictures. The model’s pose is pretty dynamic but neither arms are upraised so I think everything will fit.

I’ll post pictures when the model is fully painted.