Vallejo Plastic Putty

I bought a box of assault marines from an ebay seller. The kit is fine, but really showing its age in terms of finish. Compared to the new Space Marine Tactical Squad set the details are a lot less defined. Particularly the legs, where the knee pads meet the thigh armour. This is not a complaint so much as an observation. I still like the kit.

However, the jump packs really do have big gaps. I didn’t take any pictures while I was assembling mine. It’s a bit of a bother to set everything up. But, here is a good example:

jump-pack
Image from ChestofColors.com

This picture comes from an excellent OSL tutorial from ChestofColors.com, which can be read here. You can see the gaps quite clearly. You can also see how inaccessible those parts of the model are. When I painted my Chaplain, I tried to sand the seams smooth. It didn’t work very well and I was unsatisfied with the results.

I have some green stuff but I’ve never used it before and it seems like an unsuitable application for it. I did some research on filling gaps and decided on Vallejo Plastic Putty. It’s water soluble so it won’t wreck your brushes and can apparently be colored with paint. It comes in a dropper bottle or tube. I bought the latter.

I found it really easy to use. I simply applied it into gaps with a paintbrush and used a damp cotton bud to remove the excess. I then sanded the surface with sanding sticks, then some really fine grit sandpaper and finally burnished it with my nail. I find a soft bristled toothbrush helps polish the surface too. Here are the results:

[photo]

It’s impossible to tell how smooth the surface is until it’s been primed. Grey primer really seems to show any imperfections up. That said, I’m very pleased with the results. I was able to fill even the tiny gaps inside the thrusters. The putty sanded well and didn’t seem to shrink much as it dried. I’m not sure if that would be the case with bigger gaps though. I guess green stuff might be a better alternative in that case.

The only niggle was on the underside of the Jump Pack, in the middle, under the vent. I was able to apply the putty just fine, to what was a pretty sizeable gap. But I found it very difficult to sand or scrape away the excess. If I had some of the cotton bubs that end in a hard point that might have worked better.

I won’t be magnetizing the jump packs. I don’t see much point in Assault Marines unless they have them. Eventually, I may decide to upgrade to a Space Marine Bike Squad. I really like the models and they seem like they’d be a solid choice in a game.

Advertisements

Base Stamps

I’ve thought a lot about basing. Themed bases look great but when a theme clashes, either with an opposing army or with the terrain, the effect is somewhat spoiled. The classic flock or more contemporary classic rubble bases are fine, if a little uninspiring.

For a while I thought about clear plastic bases and even bought some. But, over time, I expect they’ll get dirty or scratched and the effect will be lost. Also, they would be difficult to attach models too without the glue being obvious. Models that are modeled standing on themed elements (looking at you every HQ choice) have the original problem of clashing with their surroundings.

Also, there is the issue of magnets. Many people use magnetized trays as storage for their miniatures. In a previous post I mentioned using Tupperware to store miniatures. Eventually, when the bases are done, I’d like to add steel washers to the bottom of each base. I could then line the inside of the Tupperware lid with magnetic tape.

So, why not choose a theme and make my own? There are some great tutorials out there and products like textured plasticard give some excellent results. I’ve thought a lot about it and I’ve decided to go with Green Stuff and base stamps.

basius

Wargamesbakery has a range of products they call Basius. Essentially it’s a terrain stamp cast negatively. You press Green Stuff onto a base, wait an hour, then press the slightly cured Green Stuff into the stamp. This gives you the ability to create as many sculpted bases as you want. With a largeish stamp you’ll also have plenty of variety.

sanctuary

For my Sauroters I’ve chosen the Sanctuary base stamp. I am imaging it as a kind of Fortress Monastery theme. I’ll paint the stone in a weathered grey. I am planning to create all the bases at the same time in order to get a consistent look. A nice feature of this stamp is the stairs. This will allow me to mount the miniatures with their feet up on something more securely and still keep to my theme.

For the Genestealer Cult I am thinking of going with an underhive theme. The patriarch comes on a pretty elaborate pipe element. I’d like to do a bunch of weathering on it and then carry that theme through the rest of the bases. I think a monastery theme would compliment that pretty well.