As per the plan, I have assembled the first unit of marines. I wanted to start with the Assault Squad because there are only five models. Also, as I mentioned in a previous post, the kit is showing it’s age and I was keen to try out the Vallejo Model Putty.
To keep the squad WYSIWYG I have magnetized some of the models. Two Marines can be equipped with either flamers or chainswords. I used the MKIV flamers because they are more compact. They look like assault weapons. I also like the idea of being able to put down two flame templates and get automatic hits during an assault.
The sergeant also has the option of a power fist. This is just for the sake of the conversion. I don’t really like the idea of putting a lot of points into a model that only has power armour and one wound. I’d rather save the points across squads and take something else. However, if I am anticipating something like a Landraider or monstrous creature the option is there.
The jump packs are not magnetized because I don’t see much point in Assault Squads without them. I spent a lot of time filling and sanding gaps because I wanted the finish to be really smooth and aerodynamic. I left the vent on the top of the intake because it makes sense as part of the engine. I also like the idea of adding soot effects to it later.
You’ll notice that they are attached to 25mm bases. This is because this is an older kit. I am using these bases for painting. I am planning to base them on clear acrylic when they are finished. The feet don’t offer much of a surface for gluing so I may actually magnetize them to their bases. Otherwise they are going to constantly break.
Here they are after priming:
As you can see the finish…