Sauroter Apothecary

1-front

2-narthecium

3-chainsword

4-back

5-helmet

Modelling

  • The body of the model is from the Forgeworld Apothecary Set.
  • The right shoulder pauldron is from the Betrayal at Calth boxset.
  • The left shoulder pauldron was a custom order from a Shapeways seller.

The cast of this model was a little rough. Some of the detail was a little blurred and it was sometimes difficult to decide whether something was a mold line or the edge of an armor plate. That said, there is a lot of great detail. I particularly liked the multi-lens eye piece which has a cable running down the back of the helmet.

The model features a lot of cabling. The moulding is interesting. The pipes and cables are often in high relief.  It’s hard to explain but the cables have more depth than meets the eye. Often extending far back into the body of the miniature.It makes sense really. It would be very difficult and fragile a detail was not attached to a miniature all along it’s length. In these cases I simply painted the extra resin with Vallejo Air Cammo Black Brown to create shadow.

I decided not to use the Forgeworld shoulder pauldron. The iconography is way over the top. As with the Chplain I have decided to leave it blank. The color of the armor and the equipment make the specialization obvious without the need for Desperate Dan style wings sticking out of the side of the model’s shoulder.

Painting

The basic scheme is a warm white. Dr Faut’s Painting Clinic has a great tutorial on painting white. This model doesn’t have any grenades so I painted some of the cabling blue, the accent color for the Sarotuer paint scheme. I used different metals on the various bottles and canisters to try and provide a bit of variety.

I was particularly pleased with how the large lens on the helmet turned out. It’s a great part of the model and a bit of a focal point. I have struggled to get a result I am satisfied with in past attempts with other models. I now have a technique I like.

First I base coated the lens in Vallejo Iraqui Sand. Then applied Vallejo Dead White leaving a small ring of Iraqui Sand. I then added GW Waywatcher Green Glaze. I quickly dried my brush and used it to remove some of the glaze from the center of the lens. I glazed over the center with Vallejo Flat Yellow and then added a dot of Dead White to the top right of the lens. Finally I carefully added some GW Nuln Oil to the inside edge of the lens casing.

  • Armour ~ Vallejo xxxx ().
  • Left pauldron ~ Vallejo xxxx ()
  • Plasma Pistol~ Vallejo Black Metal (71.073). Drybrushed with  Vallejo Steel (71.065)
  • Medicae-Systems ~ Vallejo xxxx ()
  • Leather~ Vallejo xxxx (). Drybrushed with Vallejo xxxx ()
  • Narthecium ~  Vallejo xxxx  (). Washed with GW Agrax Earthshade
  • Eye ~  GW Agrax Earthshade. Vallejo xxxx  ().
  • Right knee pad ~  Vallejo xxxx  (). Highlighted with  Vallejo xxxx  ()

You’ll notice that it is not based yet. I am not planning to base anything until the whole army is finished. I want to try an achieve a  consistent look and I really haven’t decided how they’ll be based yet.

Also, the model has a kind of peg on the bottom of one foot. This is the attachment for a kind of rubble element he is standing on. I will probably remove it and have the model’s feet flush on the base but I haven’t decided yet.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s