I have finished the highlighting stage for my Ultramarines. I first tried highlighting the Sergeant and Veteran’s helmets. I like the way they turned out but the technique I used would make batch painting very difficult. For the armour I followed a tutorial from Mini War Gaming which can be found here.
I used a glaze (GW Guilliman Blue) instead of a shade to blend the layers together. I was very pleased with the results and I’ll use the same technique with the Sauroters color scheme. I’ll be using sub-assemblies which should make the process easier. Here are some pictures of my completed Ultramarines.
I was pleased with the way they turned out but some of the transitions are a bit stark. The red helmets are also rather shiny although I guess a couple of coats of matt varnish will dull them down. I can only imagine the barrack room banter if it doesn’t.
The quality of these pictures are pretty poor. I have done a little research on photographing miniatures, but I haven’t applied much of the advice here. This is mainly due to lack of time. Also, these miniatures are not even nearly finished. I’ll post some better photos when the highlighting and transfers are done.
As for the Sauroters color scheme, I have decided on Vallejo Panzer Aces Russian Tankcrew II (70.326) and Vallejo Panzer Aces Vallejo Highlight Russian Tkcr. II (70.330). They have the desaturated look I want and are designed to work together. Hopefully I’ll be able to get some good blends. I also want to use Vallejo Model Air Metallic Black (71073) for the weapons. I really like the color and I hope it will add some variety to the texture of the color scheme.